Dog Crate — Make Your Dog Happy
What are the benefits of dog crates?
1. The dog crate has a certain sense of security.
The existence of the large dog crate is to provide a safe space for the dog so that the dog will feel safe in the crate.
2. The best dog crate makes the home cleaner.
It is inconvenient for the owner to clean the dog when they urinate at home. If they can clean it in a crate, it will be more convenient for the owner to clean it and cultivate the dog's quiet character.
3. Dog crates make dogs more docile.
If guests at home don't like dogs, the owner can put them in a crate. This will not only make the guests feel relaxed and bold at home but also will not make the dogs roar, manic and excited, and will make the dogs more docile.
How to choose a dog box?
Dog shape selection crate
1. Dog crate length standard
There is a saying that we should choose a crate that is three times the size of the dog, and some say that it is just enough for the width of the dog's turn. Personally, it is relatively simple to choose the size of the dog crate twice the length of the dog. For example， xl dog crate， XXL dog crate and 42-inch dog crate.
2. How long do you plan to use
One is to know how long you intend to use the kennel after you buy it. For short-term use, you can ignore the quality problem. For long-term use, you need to consider whether the kennel is resistant to manufacturing.
3. Consider the growth of puppies
If the dog you buy is a puppy, you should consider its growth, so the crate must refer to the adult size of the dog. For example。Extra large dog crates， small dog crates and heavy-duty dog crates.
Features of dog crates made of different materials
1. Wooden dog crate: Dogs feel comfortable to touch. It is not so cold in winter and not so hot in summer, but the edges and corners are easy to be chewed by dogs. It is better to wrap the four corners with an iron sheet. It is easy to get mouldy in wet weather.
2. Iron: General manufacturers of this kind have sprayed paint to prevent rust, but do not choose iron bars that are too thin and easy to be twisted by dogs.
3. Plastic or glass fibre: no seams, smooth surface, dogs will not bite, crates are not easy to hurt the fur, light, can be washed directly with water, but can not be disassembled and combined at will, and ventilation is poor.
4. Stainless steel: smooth surface, no rust, no fear of dog bites, easy to clean, but stainless steel is very cold or hot in winter and summer. Dog feet and skin contact are uncomfortable, so the indoor temperature should be appropriate, and the cushion inside should be comfortable.
Do you need to carry it conveniently? Can you send it by post
You may need to choose different types of modern dog crates for different needs. Now let's look at the most common types and suitable scenarios.
1. Enclosed dog crate:
As the name implies, it's just a simple enclosure to limit the little guy's range of activities. You can place it at the bedroom door to prevent entry; Put it on the balcony to prevent it from coming out.
Advantages: simple and convenient, large scope of supply,
Disadvantages: It does not have other functions, may urinate or pull the floor, and generally requires other large objects as the other sides of the crate
Suitable type: adult dogs who know not to pull or pee at home
2. Portable dog crate:
Advantages: light, foldable, allowing dogs to pull or pee
Disadvantages: easy to deform,
Applicable type: for office workers with small room areas, expand at work and fold at home.
3. Home dog crate:
Advantages: solid, reliable, comfortable, and can let dogs pull or pee
Disadvantages: bulky, large floor space
Applicable type: large enough to be put in the house, medium and large dogs, giant dogs
4. Traveling dog crate:
Advantages: easy to carry and transport
Disadvantages: Not suitable for dogs to stay for a long time
Suitable type: dogs need to be checked
5. Ideational dog crate:
A mattress, a bucket of water, and a bowl of rice, where the dog sleeps, depends on his mind.
Advantages: large space, freedom and comfort. For example, a DIY dog crate.
Disadvantages: frequent cleaning is required
Applicable types: all types
How to clean the dog crate?
1. Prepare to disinfect dog crate appliances: a small brush, old toothbrush, latex gloves (which can effectively prevent the pure corrosive disinfectant from hurting the skin), water basin, and commonly used household disinfectant.
2. Take out the objects in the crate and wash the lower plate clean; The owner can wash most of the dirt in the crate with water first and then wipe the dirt around it with a wet towel; After cleaning the crate.
3. Wear gloves, take about a bottle of cap disinfectant, pour it into a basin, and then dilute it with water according to the specified reference proportion. Dip the diluted disinfectant with a small brush and brush the dog crate.
Fences weld the dog crate in different directions, and the junction between fences is particularly easy to accumulate dirt, especially the bottom mesh. At this time, it's the old toothbrush's turn to show off! It can take into account every corner of the dog crate.
4. After brushing, rinse with clean water. You should note that dogs like to lick everywhere. Dogs easily eat the disinfectant left on the fence, so you must wash it several times. Finally, expose the dog crate to the sun for 1 hour. Ultraviolet radiation will double the germicidal effect!
Some questions about the dog crate
Do dogs prefer an open or closed crate?
But dogs aren't people, and when used properly as a safe, comfortable haven, a crate can be your dog's favourite place, whether the door is open or closed. As you can see above,
Do dogs prefer wire boxes or plastic boxes?
In general, larger dogs do better in wire crates. The wire crate feels bigger than the plastic one. Although you can use wire dog crates for small dogs and plastic crates for large dogs, if you have a large breed puppy, you will want to investigate wire crate options.
Are plastic or metal crates better?
Plastic enclosures are far lighter than wire enclosures, and many can spring open for easy storage. Plastic enclosures have holes that your puppy can see. Still, this limited view gives your dog more privacy and can deter potential distractions.
Is a wire box or plastic box better?
Wire crates are collapsible for easier storage. The plastic enclosures can be made into two halves and stored, but they still take up more space than wire enclosures. Visibility. Every puppy is different. Some puppies like to see the crate outside, while others prefer the inside to be darker and more like a cave.
How do I choose the right crate for my puppy?
When calculating how large a crate you should purchase, choose a crate with room for your dog to stand up, turn around, stretch, and lie down. Going beyond this space will encourage your pet to sleep on one side of the crate and relieve himself.
Should you put a blanket in the dog's crate?
Avoid using blankets, towels, or sheets as bedding for a puppy crate. It may nibble on the material, which not only creates a mess, but if it ends up swallowing the debris, it could cause a life-threatening internal blockage and require an emergency trip to a pet hospital.
Should dogs sleep in crates?
The most obvious advantage of having a dog sleep in a crate is that you don't have to worry about what happens to him in the middle of the night when he's in commotion. If your dog tends to cause trouble when you're not around, a crate can keep him in check when he dreams about food.
Where should my dog sleep at night?
If your dog is a troublemaker at night, it is best to let him sleep in a bedroom or crate. Most dogs like to lie next to you and will sleep there if they choose.
Which is better, a crate or a fence?
Generally speaking, crates work well at night. You want your puppy to sleep at night (not run around), confine him to a small space and risk waking you up if he needs to go to the bathroom. But during the day, puppy pens work best.
Where should you keep your dog?
Place the dog's crate in the house where the family usually stays, such as the family room. Place a soft blanket or bed in the crate. Remove the door or prop it open and let the dog explore the crate at will. Some dogs are naturally curious and immediately start sleeping in the crate.
What size dog crate do I need?
The bottom line. The crate should always be the right size for your dog.
While they might be too small, they could be too big. If the crate is too large, your dog may use part of it as a urinal area, which will hinder your dog from house training and will not teach it to persevere.
What are the inappropriate uses of a dog crate?
1. Long-term crate rearing
Pet owners who are busy with work and have naughty dogs at home use the crate as a place to restrict their dogs' freedom and keep their dogs in crates for a long time.
The dog crate for a long time will not only cause the dog psychological depression and sensitivity but; Lack of exercise. The dog's body immunity will also decline, affecting development, And dogs tend to chafe their PAWS and noses in crates.
2. Rely on them as punishment
And then there are the shovelling officers, who see the dog crate as a useful disciplinary tool. Every time a dog makes a mistake, the owner wants to put the dog in the crate.
This practice will exacerbate the dog's negative impression of the crate. Letting the dog in the crate develop a strong sense of resistance and will eat in the crate, causing trouble for the owner.
What is the proper way to use a dog crate?
1. Cultivate the dog's affection for the dog crate from an early age. Put dog bowls, toys, and snacks in the crate to familiarise the dog with the crate's environment.
In this way, the dog will see his crate as his own home, where he can live in comfort and peace of mind. If the owner takes the dog out, it will be more cooperative, take the initiative to enter the air box and the dog crate, and not yell, bite, or hit it.
2. control the time in the crate. Whether it is the home to fear the dog guests or to prevent the dog from tearing down the house, the master does not put the dog in the crate for a long time.
If the owner keeps caging the dog, the dog can be psychologically damaged, believing that the owner will abandon and punish them, and can even develop separation anxiety or become irritable.
3. choose the right dog crate; dog crate owners should also choose the right crate. The crate is too small for movement, and the dog will be uncomfortable and resist going inside.
If the crate is too big, it will take up too much space in the home, make transportation difficult and make the dog feel insecure.